I’ve been quiet for the past week because I’ve been practising what I preach… I really have toned down my online time and the content I’m consuming.
Admittedly, I’ve also had a flu, which helped.
I could barely move for days so instead I read and watched movies.
Now that I’m better, I’m trying to catch up on my work, which means a lot of procrastinating and aimless surfing the net.
The past few days I’ve been focussed on not allowing negative and meaningless stories to filter back into my daily routine.
- They waste my time.
- They waste my mental energy.
- They trigger emotional responses in me that I don’t need to have, such as fear.
- They block me from forging new habits and new neural pathways.
The longer I refrain from clicking through on silly kitten clips and frightening news stories, the easier it becomes to move towards the content that feeds my spirit.
I’m not sure what Kim Kardashian is up to this week (and that’s a relief).
I have no idea what ISIL is doing today.
My one struggle is not knowing the latest updates on Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran’s execution date. It’s the one news story I have problems switching off from. But that’s the point of February’s challenge. My heart aches for these men and their families… their mothers. But my life is in no way connected to these men, and yet my emotional energy is being impacted daily. I’ve allowed that.
Here in Australia it will be hard to escape the media after they die. But I’m doing what I can to not obsessively watch it unfold… and instead, when they cross my mind I send light to them and their families.
I’m even swamped energetically, writing about this now… so let’s move into a more positive vibration.
This month’s challenge is to filter the media we consume. To stop ourselves from disappearing down the rabbit hole of negative media.
So what have I been doing?
- I’ve set up an ebay shop (remember all that clutter from January? The best pieces are on here)
- I’ve been putting together a teaching course.
- I have been spending time reading up on Japanese Yoga, the form of yoga I practise and adore.
- I’ve been reading more about Vipassana meditation.
- I’ve been planning a holiday for my kids, later in the year. There’s nothing I love more than putting together an amazing itinerary for an overseas adventure. Sometimes I think I should be a travel agent.
- I’ve read a couple of books and seen some lovely films.
And I’m feeling clear and inspired. How are you going?